Interesting Facts About Cucumber That Will Amaze You
Submitted by Kim Allison
Posted on 24 Apr, 2016
Posted on 24 Apr, 2016
Cucumbers are very easy to grow and make for a delicious treat. But this wonderful low calorie vegetable has more to offer than just nutrients, water and electrolytes.
|Not A Vegetable
The cucumber is actually not a vegetable. In botanical terms, the cucumber is classified as an accessory fruit just like the tomato.
|Can Be Used As Breath Mints
Out on a date and realize that you forgot gum or breath mints? Relax! Ask your waiter for some sliced cucumber with your meal. Take a slice and press it to the roof of your mouth with your tongue for 30 seconds to eliminate bad breath. The phytochemicals will kill the bacteria that are responsible for causing bad breath.
|Removes Fog From Glass
Rubbing a cucumber slice on your bathroom mirror will help you get rid of the fog and liven up the place with a spa like fragrance.
Using a pen and made a mistake? Move over, Mr. Clean Magic Eraser! Take the outside waxy coating of the cucumber and slowly use it to erase the pen writing.
Take a slice of cucumber and wipe it on any metallic surface that needs cleaning - it will remove tarnish and built-up residue and leave it looking beautifully clean and shiny.
|Can Be Used To Shine Shoes
If you rub a fresh cucumber over your shoes, they will get a quick shine that will also repel water.
|They Can Grow Up To 2-Feet Long
The English cucumber is the largest cucumber that can grow over 2 feet long and is a ‘burpless’ cucumber. The seeds in cucumbers lead to gas in the stomach and English cucumbers are entirely seedless. Thus, they are not as embarrassing as the other varieties!
|They Reduce Eye Puffiness. Why?
Ever wonder why you put cucumber on your eyes to reduce puffiness? The ascorbic acid and caffeic acid in cucumber brings down the water retention rate which in turn diminishes the swelling and puffiness around the yes.
|Can Be Used To Relieve Stress
Stressed? Cut up an entire cucumber and place it in a boiling pot of water. The chemicals and nutrients from the cucumber will react with the boiling water and be released in the steam, creating a soothing, relaxing aroma.
Cucumbers Nutritional Facts And Medicative Properties
- It is one of the very low calorie vegetables; provide just 15 calories per 100 g. It contains no saturated fats or cholesterol.
- Need a burst of energy in the afternoon but no time for a nap? Stay away from the Monster or Redbull! Cucumbers are a great source of B vitamins and carbohydrates that can provide that can provide that quick pick-me-up that can last for hours. Cucumbers give you wings.
- Cucumber peel is a good source of dietary fiber that helps reduce constipation, and offers some protection against colon cancers by eliminating toxic compounds from the gut.
- It is a very good source of potassium, an important intracellular electrolyte. 100 g of cucumber provides 147 mg of potassium but only 2 mg of sodium. Potassium is a heart friendly electrolyte helps bring a reduction in total blood pressure and heart rates by countering effects of sodium.
- Cucumbers contains unique antioxidants in moderate ratios such as beta carotene and a-carotene, vitamin-C, vitamin-A, zea-xanthin and lutein. These compounds help act as protective scavengers against oxygen-derived free radicals and reactive oxygen species (ROS) that play a role in aging and various disease processes.
- Cucumbers have mild diuretic property, which perhaps attributed to their free-water, and potassium and low sodium content. This helps in checking weight gain and high blood pressure.
- They surprisingly have a high amount of vitamin K, provides about 17 µg of this vitamin per 100 g. Vitamin-K has been found to have a potential role in bone strength by promoting osteotrophic (bone mass building) activity. It also has established role in the treatment of Alzheimer's disease patients by limiting neuronal damage in their brain.
- Do you have a hard time drinking your eight glasses of water per day? Try munching on some cucumbers. They are made up of 95% water!
- Cucumbers contain insoluble and soluble fibre that helps you feel full and also lowers bad cholesterol in your body!
- Protect your skin by using products with cucumbers; they have anti-inflammatory ingredients to help your skin cool down.
Learn About The World's Healthiest Foods
SuperfoodsThe Food and Medicine of the Future
by David Wolfe
The Super Antioxidant Diet and Nutrition GuideA Health Plan for Body, Mind, and Spirit
by Robin Jeep
Best Green Drinks EverBoost Your Juice with Protein, Antioxidants and More
by Katrine Van Wyk
The 150 Healthiest Foods on EarthThe Surprising, Unbiased Truth About What You Should Eat and Why
by Jonny Bowden